10 Good reasons to build it
The Viking Ship Museum/Museum of Cultural History have set up a list of ten excellent reasons to build a replica of the Oseberg ship:
1. Learn more about Viking ships by practical testing
2. Providing knowledge and information for regional audiences, as well as nationally and across the globe
3. A replica can be touched, giving a feeling of proximity to istory
4. Norway the nation needs a replica, an Oseberg ship that can sail.
5. Will contribute to new research about Viking ships in general and the Oseberg ship especially
6. Completes the collection of replicas of the world’s best preserved ships from the Viking Age
7. Experimenting with rigging and sails will provide more knowledge about sailing in Viking times.
8. A huge potential as a research project both during construction and in use.
9. Literally a flagship that will underline the importance of new research and increase interest in history.
10. A security replica of the original.
The New Oseberg Ship Foundation is working closely with the following institutions:
The University of Oslo/The Museum of Cultural History and the Viking Ships Museum
The Viking Ships Museum in Roskilde, Denmark
NTNU in Trondheim
Vestfold County Council
The City of Tønsberg